Sequential excerpts (including footnotes) from ‘The Dawn-Breakers’ by Nabil-i-‘Azam, translated and edited by Shoghi Effendi

August 16, 2019

An example of the Báb’s loving and welcoming nature

In connection with one of these commentaries, [on the Qur'an] the Báb one day asked me: ‘Which do you prefer, this commentary which I have revealed, or the Ahsánu’l-Qisás, My previous commentary on the Súrih of Joseph? Which of the two is superior, in your estimation?’ ‘To me,’ I replied, ‘the Ahsánu’l-Qisás seems to be endowed with greater power and charm.’ He smiled at my observation and said: ‘You are as yet unfamiliar with the tone and tenor of this later commentary. The truths enshrined in this will more speedily and effectively enable the seeker to attain the object of his quest.’ 
- Shaykh Hasan-i-Zunúzí  (One the Báb’s scribes; quoted by Nabil, Chapter 2, ‘The Dawn-Breakers)